tumblr visitor
Early History of Holy Trinity Parish, Niagara Falls, New York: (1896-1966)
Home
Christmas
Classical
Dance
Folk
Polka
Religious
Store

Early History of Holy Trinity Parish, Niagara Falls, New York: (1896-1966)



    The first Polish people arrived in Niagara Falls about 1896. They found favorable living and working conditions there and began to attract other families and individuals to their settlement. Although they affiliated with the Assumption Parish in Black Rock, they attended services at St. Mary’s of the Cataract Church on Fourth Street. Father James Wojcik and Father Thomas Stabenau commuted regularly at Easter Time to Niagara Falls to render spiritual series to these people. After the Franciscan Fathers organized Corpus Christi Parish in Buffalo they also extended their services to the Polish people in Niagara Falls. When the Polish community numbered one hundred families, Father Hycinth Fudzinski, OFM, was commissioned by Bishop James Quigley to undertake the organization of the parish. For that purpose several meetings were held at St. Mary’s Parish Hall.


   On October 27, 1901, Father Peter Pitass an assistant from St. Stanislaus Parish in Buffalo called a meeting at the home of James Pasek on East Falls and 13th Street at which the first Polish organization in Niagara Falls was formed with an initial enrollment of twenty-one members. This organizational effort was successful and at the beginning of 1902, Bishop Quigley gave permission for the formation of a Polish parish with Father Peter Pitass as its first pastor.

    During the ensuing winter months, a small frame church was erected on a leased plot on 12th Street. It was dedicated the second Sunday in Lent in 1902. However, Father Pitass was recalled at the end of July and Father Ladislaus Bartkowski became the pastor the following month.

    With the arrival of Father Bartkowski, the parishioners, enthusiastic with renewed zeal, eagerly contributed funds for the purchase of parish property and the building of a church. A site was bought on the 14th and East Falls Streets to which the parishioners moved their original frame church. After it was remodeled, repainted, and furnished with a new altar and seating benches. Bishop Quigley dedicated the church November 30, 1902.

    With the growth of parish membership, it became necessary to build a larger church, the contract for the construction of which was made on October 2, 1905. By the end of that year, the foundations and the basement were completed. Bishop Charles Colton, with the assistance of the pastor, Father Michael Dymanski, officiated at the ceremony of the laying of the cornerstone May 26, 1906. The first services were held in the new church at midnight on Christmas, December 25, 1906. The church was dedicated May 27, 1907.

    Holy Trinity Parish observed its fiftieth anniversary of organization in June of 1952 during the pastorship of Father Vincent Cyman. Since October 8, 1957 Father John Praczkajlo has been pastor. Fully dedicated to his pastoral obligations, Father Praczkajlo has successfully, not only continued but improved on the work of his predecessors. With the cooperation of his parishioners, the pastor paid off the parish debt and the parish mortgage was burned June 7, 1964.


 - Source: "Millennium of Christianity of the Polish People, 966-1966, Buffalo Diocesan Observance"
Editor: Rev. Milton J. Kobiski; Associate Editor: Rev. Stanley J. Ogorzaly

NOTE: Holy Trinity is now a closed parish of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Buffalo, N.Y.)



St. Hyacinth's Cemetery, Dunkirk, New York 
(Lake Erie can be seen on the horizon.)
Holy Trinity Parish
1419 East Falls Street
Niagara Falls, New York
The  Seneca Niagara Casino & Hotel and  Holy Trinity Parish, are in the same neighborhood.
Holy Trinity Parish, Niagara Falls, New York
Holy Trinity Parish, Niagara Falls, New YorkHoly Trinity Parish, Niagara Falls, New York. INteresting story about this statue: http://www.niagara-gazette.com/news/local_news/a-look-back-at-how-social-media-saved-the-day/article_715c5218-f31f-56df-921e-a01bca2b5a49.html
Holy Trinity Parish, Niagara Falls, New York
Holy Trinity Parish, Niagara Falls, New York
St Michael the Archangel Polish National Catholic Church 

Niagara Falls, New York 

St Michael the Archangel Polish National Catholic Church
250 27th Street
Niagara Falls, NY 14303-1943
(716) 282-5442

Website

Looking for treble? 
CLICK HERE