SS. Cyril and Methodius Seminary is a four-year private Polish seminary in Orchard Lake, Michigan. The seminary, taking its name from Saints Cyril and Methodius, was founded in 1885 in Detroit, Michigan, to prepare candidates for the Roman Catholic priesthood primarily to serve Polish American immigrant communities.
Approval for founding such a seminary was granted on January 14, 1879, by Pope Leo XIII upon the petition of Father Leopold Moczygemba,a Conventual Franciscan, founder of the Polish settlement in Panna Maria, Texas, in 1854.
St. Mary's Preparatory was founded in 1885 on Detroit's east side by Rev. Joseph Dabrowski as a school for Polish-American boys to train for the priesthood. The school moved to the 125 acre (0.5 km²) campus of the former Michigan Military Academy on the shores of Orchard Lake in 1909 and is still there today. St. Mary's now offers a college preparatory education. The campus is shared with SS. Cyril and Methodius Seminary and contains some offices and classrooms for Madonna University of Livonia, Michigan. The Felician Sisters from Livonia, Michigan have served the Orchard Lake Schools since 1935. The Polish roots of St. Mary's are still evident in the school's colors (red & white) and mascot (the Eaglet), both elements drawn from the flag of Poland.
The Polish Mission of Orchard lake dedicated the world's first monument to the victims of the tragic plane crash at Smolensk. Designed and created by Marcin Chumiecki, director of the Polish Mission and Jan Siuta, reknown Polish artist, the monument was dedicated by Cardinal Glemp, on August 28th, 2010 in memory of Msgr. Zdzislaw Peszkowski in addition to all the victims.