After the formation of St. Casimer Parish in 1890, the vicinity bordering Clinton Street between Bailey Avenue and the city line became quickly populated by the factory workers of nearby industrial concerns. Gradually Polish families built homes on the outskirts of this area. They affiliated with either of the two already established parishes. On November 22, 1922, Father Francis Guzy received a commission from Bishop William Turner to organize a new parish for the Polish people in the Polish section outside the city line. The first Mass in the new parish was said in the home of the Krawczyk family on December 10, 1922. In the meantime, Father
Guzy purchased at Clinton and Willowlawn Streets, property consisting of nine lots and two buildings. A large horse stable was converted into a temporary church with two classrooms above. Church services were first held in the remodeled framed structure on Easter Sunday in 1923.
An old brick building on the grounds was reconstructed into a convent. At the request of Father Guzy two Felician Sister undertook teaching in September 1923 in the newly organized school. Initial registration totaled 104 pupils. The next year, registration increased considerably, resulting in the need for more and better facilities. Because of the inadequate school facilities and also as a result of the increase of family membership, Father Guzy made plans for the construction of a church-school combination brick building. Groundbreaking ceremonies took place on March 18, 1928.On May 20th of that year, the cornerstone of the new church was laid with Monsignor Alexander Pitass officiating. On December 9, 1928, the first Mass was celebrated in the new church which occupied the lower floor of the building. Bishop William Turner dedicated the new church and blessed the school on April 21, 1929. On August 9, 1948, Father Vincent Sokolowski succeeded Father Guzy to the pastorship. On May 9, 1954, Father Sokolowski was raise to the dignity of domestic prelate. Steadily failing in health, Monsignor Skolowski succumbed on March 8 1959. Father Joseph Rojek has been pastor since 1959.
- Source: "Millennium of Christianity of the Polish People, 966-1966, Buffalo Diocesan Observance"
Editor: Rev. Milton J. Kobielski; Associate Editor: Rev. Stanley J. Ogorzaly
St. Hyacinth's Cemetery, Dunkirk, New York
(Lake Erie can be seen on the horizon.)
Recent Photos of Our Lady of Czestochowa Church in Cheektowaga, New York
Early History of Our Lady of Czestochowa Parish, Cheektowaga, New York (1922-1966)
Our Lady of Czestochowa Parish
21 Clinton Street
Cheektowaga, New York